I believe finding contentment is a struggle for all of us.  That desire for something more, for things to change, for results to be seen.  This has been the focus of my daily devotions over the last several mornings.  I've been reading about Paul and the amazing freedom he found in knowing Christ and realizing that contentment could not be dependent upon his circumstances.  He came to the place where he could say, "I have learned that whatever state I am, to be content." (Philippians 4:12).  A challenge for all of us indeed.  I so appreciate the InTouch monthly devotional put out by Charles Stanley and InTouch Ministries.  It is that which guides me daily into the Scriptures and offers encouragement and understanding of this life which God has called us to live.  Here is a segment from today's words from Dr. Stanley:
  I want to challenge you - this week, when something threatens to steal your contentment, choose to draw from God; decide to stop drawing from other sources and trying to be in control.  When you find yourself becoming flustered, anxious, or angry, stop and say, "Lord, You are my source, and I draw from you the capacity to be kind.  I draw from you the forgiveness I need to extend right now.  I draw from you the love I need to express."  This decision is a matter of simple trust. 
To accomplish a challenge such as this there is one verse that comes to my mind...."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

I hope this encourages you today as it has me.  

And I've written before about the simple things.  The simple things that bring joy to my days.  Here's the most recent one.  My butterfly bushes are in bloom and have grown by leaps and bounds since last summer.  They are called butterfly bushes for a reason.  Butterflies flock to the blossoms!  It's such fun for the me and the boys to walk by and see their wings fluttering in all different shapes and sizes.   I love the little things that make us smile!

Comments

  1. What an encouragement and wonderful reminder to me this morning. Thank you, Jen! And ... I love your butterfly bushes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice & a real challenge for me!! Can't wait to see your butterfly bushes in full bloom. What a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment