whispered prayers

There are times when the sacrifices we must make as parents can be a bit frustrating.  It's so important for me to remember, as I have written before, that life is a conglomeration of phases.  And the phase I am currently in requires me to give up some things that I would otherwise have a desire to do.  For example....attend the ladies retreat this past weekend, take a Zumba class at the gym, go to the bathroom alone :), get my hair cut on a regular basis, take a nice long walk outside, volunteer with local charities, spend more time in prayer, be more involved in church ministries.  Things of that nature.  Some things seem petty and some things seem quite legitimately honorable.  But what about being a mommy to my boys while they are in these young years.  Is there a more honorable calling?  I'm speaking to myself with this rhetorical question. :)  I am able to write entries for this blog only in the early hours of the morning when my boys are sleeping.  So you guessed it...the large gaps in between entries usually means the boys are awake and ready to begin their day just about the same time as I am.  Those are mornings....when I just long for them to sleep a few minutes longer....that require a sacrifice.  I give up the time I need to regroup, to write, to catch up on emails, and most importantly spend time in the Word.   I tend to fall into the mindset that if I can't spend time alone with God in those early morning moments that the day is lost and I have no time to give strictly to Him.  I am reading Gary Thomas's Sacred Parenting and have found such encouragement in this area.  He refers to a quote saying, "I find that a life of little whispered words of adoration, of praise, of prayer, of worship can be breathed all through the day.  One can have a very busy day, outwardly speaking, and yet be steadily in the holy spirit."  Even on the days when I can't find a half hour alone to talk to God, all of those moments throughout the day when I'm saying.... "thank you that the boys have gone 10 minutes without hurting each other, thank you that you have kept our family healthy, thank you that we have food on our table, thank you that you blessed me with an extra dose of patience today, please give me strength to make it to bedtime, please give me the the grace to discipline firmly yet lovingly, thank you for answered prayers, forgive me for the times I've fallen short, thank you for my precious family"... all of those whispered prayers are just as important as a solitary chunk of time.  He honors the sacrifices we make.  Thank you God for your grace, when my selfishness gets in the way of the job that you have called me to do.
Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over."  Luke 6:38   

Happy May! I can see summer just around the corner!!

Comments

  1. So touching - you have such a giving spirit!! You will receive your reward some day for all your patience & the times you sacrificed your time for those dear little guys. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment